Serving on a board of directors or a board committee is a great way to grow your leadership skills, expand your network, and discover potential new pathways for your career. But, as any volunteer position, time is a factor. Before committing to a committee or a board position, catalog what you are already involved in and decide whether you have the capacity (in your calendar and in your heart) for another commitment. Be honest with yourself and those who count on you.
What kind of time commitment is involved to be on the YNPN Triangle NC board of directors?
We ask our General Directors to commit a minimum of 10 hours each month to YNPN Triangle NC. This includes attending monthly board meetings, committee meetings, and events. Here's a general breakdown of how our current board members spend their time each month:
- Attending monthly board meetings (1.5 hours/month)
- Attending annual, two-day board retreat in January (approximately 10 hours total)
- Attending one committee meeting per month (2 hours/month)
- Performing necessary work as required by your committee (2 – 3 hours/month)
- Attending YNPN Triangle NC events when able (2 hours/month)
- Representing YNPN in the Triangle community as needed
- Responding to board communications in a timely fashion as needed
If you are interested in serving as one of our Chairs or in one of our Executive Committee roles, we estimate the time commitment to be between 15 - 20 hours per month.
YNPN Triangle NC committee members give between 4 to 6 hours per month, depending on the committee and the time of year. We currently have three committees: Summit, Marketing & Communications, and Programming.
If you are interested in serving on a committee or have any other questions, please email email@example.com.