Serving on a board of directors or a board committee is a great way to grow your leadership skills, expand your network, and discover potential new pathways for your career. But, as any volunteer position, time is a factor. Before committing to a committee or a board position, catalog what you are already involved in and decide whether you have the capacity (in your calendar and in your heart) for another commitment. Be honest with yourself and those who count on you.
What kind of time commitment is involved to be on the YNPN Triangle NC board of directors?
We ask our board members to commit a minimum of 10-20 hours each month to YNPN Triangle NC (this number increases to 20 - 30 hours a month for Senior Chairs). This includes attending monthly board meetings, committee meetings, and events. Here's a general breakdown of how our current board members spend their time each month:
- Attending board meetings either in-person or virtual (3 hours/month)
- Attending annual, two-day board retreat (approximately 10 hours total)
- Attending one committee meeting per month (2 hours/month)
- Performing necessary work as required by your committee (5-10 hours/month)
- Attending YNPN Triangle NC events when able (2 hours/month)
- Representing YNPN in the Triangle community as needed
- Responding to board communications in a timely fashion as needed
Additionally, YNPN Triangle NC committee members give between 4 to 6 hours per month, depending on the committee and the time of year. We currently have three committees: Programming, Marketing & Communications, and Fundraising, and we will have more information to come soon regarding committee recruitment.
If you are interested in serving on a committee or have any other questions, please email email@example.com.