Applications for our 2022 Board of Directors are now open! Apply today!
Please consider reviewing the board service information below before applying.
Interested in getting involved in YNPN but aren't quite ready to apply to a board position? Fill out this form and we'll reach out when committee recruitment begins.
Board Applications will close Sunday, August 8, 2021 at midnight. Additional information regarding the application process and interview timeline will be shared directly with applicants.
Q&A - Serving on the YNPN Triangle NC Board of Directors
A. YNPN Triangle NC exists to create a safe space to practice professional skills and gain the experience of serving a nonprofit. We encourage you to explore our Committee volunteer roles as a way to familiarize yourself with long term volunteer service and with our organization as a whole. We currently have three working committees - Fundraising, Marketing & Communication, and Programming. But, with any volunteer position, time is a factor. Before committing to a committee or a board position, catalog what you are already involved in and decide whether you have the capacity (in your calendar and in your heart) for another commitment. Be honest with yourself and those who count on you.
A. Great question! We ask our board members to commit a minimum of 15-20 hours each month to YNPN Triangle NC This includes attending monthly board meetings, committee meetings, and events. Here's a general breakdown of how our current board members spend their time each month:
- Attending board meetings in-person or virtual
- Attending annual board retreats
- Attending one committee meeting per month
- Performing necessary work as required by your committee
- Attending YNPN Triangle NC events when able
- Representing YNPN in the Triangle community as needed
- Responding to board communications in a timely fashion as needed
A. Our board is made up of the following roles:
- Governance Chair
- Programming Chair
- Marketing & Communications Chair
- Fundraising Chair
The positions of Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Administrator, and Governance Chair all sit on the Executive Committee. All Executive Committee members serve two years to help maintain organizational knowledge and structure. Each role is eligible to renew its service for an additional two years of service.
We also have the following mission-critical roles:
Programming Chairs, Marketing and Communications Chairs, and Fundraising Chairs. Each of these chair roles serves two years and is also responsible for managing their respective committees.
We can adapt and be flexible, too, because life happens - people get married, take vacations, switch jobs. This is where we stress the values of transparency, accountability, and knowing when to ask for help.
A. Here are some of the responsibilities we ask our Chairs to take on as part of their service to the board:
- Submit monthly committee report to the Administrator in a timely manner
- Communicate with committee members frequently
- Recruit members for committee work
- Support committee members as needed
- Participate in the committee as a fully active member
- Provide board oversight to ensure that committees are carrying out their charges and that committee Chairs are carrying out their duties, including adhering to their committee budget
- Complete committee-specific activities as detailed in descriptions.
A. Our board is already working hard on succession planning. We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
A. We are committed to ensuring that our board is reflective of the Triangle community. We want diverse voices at the table, representing different communities, identities, issues, and perspectives.
As we prepared for our next group of incoming board members, we conducted an internal audit of the assets and areas of weakness of our current board. From this activity, we recognized that we are missing critical representation on our board. We also want to ensure that there is broad representation from a variety of organizational positions, including those who work in operations, technology, executive leadership, and direct service.
Overall, we are looking for folks who demonstrate a commitment to our core values:
- We believe in building a community of responsible, reliable, and trustworthy professionals who come prepared to make a difference in the world
- We promote a culture of communication that is honest, healthy, and useful as we continue to learn and grow.
- "Each one, teach one." We strive to create a strong community of competent, confident, collaborative, and continuous learners.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Leadership is best when there is an intentional focus to represent and include diverse communities and perspectives in the Nonprofit sector.
- We acknowledge that true leadership requires ambition and action. As we look to continually improve the nonprofit sector, we must embrace and activate our collective power.
A. We'd love to talk to you! Feel free to send a message to [email protected] and we'll connect you with the best person.